Alternative To The Benedict Option: The Parson Thirdly Option

Rod Dreher's The Benedict Option came out quite some time ago now, and made quite a splash in its time. Although it does seem to already be fading into a relic of the teens ("Remember that book 'The Benedictine Choice'?").

Here I am now, untimely got, untimely born, but finally inspired to say something to someone about this.

My goal is modest, much like my proposal. I propose, instead of the Benedict Option, The Parson Thirdly Option. Where Mr. Dreher might have suggested that we Christians ghettoize ourselves, I suggest that we simply smoke more pipes and drink more beer. There is indeed danger in engaging in a losing battle. So to a degree I sympathize with Mr Dreher's desire to retreat (some will write to say I oversimplify). On the other extreme, there are those whose only Christian ambition is to have conversations with pagans, no matter the cost. That silliness is to be avoided.

The Parson Thirdly Option calls for living a simple life with people around. The name is taken from a poem, the philosophy from I Thessalonians 4. For further elucidation, please watch the video below.

Comments