Yes, I Want Abortions To Be In Back Alleys

Recently the lovely (I say lovely because being lovely is a virtue, like being honest or wise) Michal Crum wrote about the distraction tactics of those who are for the murder of little babies. "You say you're pro-life, but you don't even love ___________ (e.g. immigrants, the poor, prisoners, etc.)." As much as there might be divergence or confusion about other issues that truly do have to do with life, we all know that abortion is murder. Abortion is murder. So we work against it in the name of the Lord of Life.

The answer to the evildoers (and the confused Christians, for that matter) who make this challenge should simply be: abortion is murder. Shall I say it again? Abortion is murder.

One of the distraction tactics often used is to say that we care nothing for women. Women are going to get abortions anyway, and if we got what we wanted, women would end up dying in droves in the dirty back alleys we'd driven them to by making abortion illegal. Is that really what we want?

Yes.

Notwithstanding that they are telling a lie, the answer is yes. Even if it were true, yes. Again I say, abortion is murder. It belongs in a dark alley, where murders are supposed to happen. Woe to us, who have allowed it to come into the daylight.

Let's say I had decided to kill my wife, because she had become an inconvenience to me. Should I be able to simply take her into a clinic and make it happen, or should I be obligated at least to do my dirty work in a dark alley?

There are places in the world where I could kill my wife openly, in a ritualized manner. Those are places that hate women. In the United States I can kill my baby openly, in a clinical manner. It is a place that hates children. And women, for that matter.

Pushing abortions back where they belong, into the darkness, is a first step. Then we go into those dark places with the light of Jesus. There will always be evil, and there will always be abortion. We are not ashamed of the fight, even in times of apparent futility. But we also know that the fight is not futile. Lives are saved. Christ shines.

I say móre: the just man justices;
Keeps grace: thát keeps all his goings graces;
Acts in God's eye what in God's eye he is —
Chríst — for Christ plays in ten thousand places,
Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his
To the Father through the features of men's faces.

It is important, for the sake of the Church and for the sake of our nation, for our very souls, that abortion go back to the dark. It is a worthy goal in itself. Gird your loins and be unashamed.

Comments

Post a Comment