How Like A God

A new poem of mine, written several months ago from a restaurant view.

How Like A God

Looking down on a new city
from a third-story restaurant
is not like being a god
in the sense that I am on top of the world,


it is like being a god
in the sense that I am
better than you,
that I am judging you in this moment,
o motorcycle pizza delivery guy,
seen from above
through a canopy of flowers,
playing with a colleague’s son.


Not judging in the sense
of heaven and hell,
but in the sense of the senses.
I am deciding that your moment
on the sidewalk immediately below me
is beautiful
and that I am worthy to say it is so.


Also this is like being a god
in the sense that I am outside you,
completely other.


And although I am sure I understand you
you do not even see me
and could never hope to understand
from down there without revelation,
that is,


if I were not completely condescending
in the theological sense.

Comments