Featured Pipe Smoker: Kit Howden

Behold our first Featured Pipe Smoker from o'er the pond!

Kit Howden

Profession: IT chap, general techno wizard

Location: Hertfordshire, England

Website: http://peter-is-my-religion.blogspot.com/ (sweary, ranty, obscure, bears no relevance to reality)

Years smoking a pipe: 2 years

Favorite blends: Alsbo Black, Captain black's, Alsbo Gold, I'm a mild chap...

Favorite pipe(s): Peterson Spigot

Favorite pipe smoker: Albert Einstein, "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs."

What's the best part of smoking a pipe?
The relaxation and the craft and the care of your materials.

What's manly about smoking a pipe?
Pipe smoking is the very incarnation of what it means to be a man. A choice of culture and status, a step outside of convention and into manhood.

How did you start smoking a pipe?
I had always had an eye for pipe smoking, the smell, and look, I think it was a natural progression from hanging in pubs, drinking real ale and having an interest in classic cars.

What was your most interesting moment as a pipe smoker?
I guess every time I go to buy tobacco, as I'm relatively young (27) for a pipe smoker round here, I get a good deal of raised eyebrows when I purchase a tin of Erinmore flake rather than the more usual 20 Lambert & Butlers (hateful cigarettes at best)!

Miscellania you'd like to add:
Writing this has given me desire to have a nice bowl of flake in the pub garden...

Comments