On the way to church this morning we ran into a perfect older man. I asked for permission to take his photo, saying that I am part of an online pipe smoking community. He cheerfully acquiesced, and we talked briefly. Ecce homo:
- has been smoking a pipe for 12 years, so it's a later-in-life thing for him; he inherited the pipe from a friend.
- is married/still wears a ring.
- covered in tattoos.
- his old Cutlass Ciera had a handicapped tag under the front mirror, and a U.S. Army sticker on the rear windshield.
- missing a few teeth; smiled easily when I spoke to him; full of diginity.
- the second thing I noticed, after the pipe, was that he was packing. He carried a handgun openly holstered at his hip (as in most American states, only concealed weapons are illegal without a permit).