Review of Searching For God Knows What

Searching for God Knows What Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller


My rating: 1 of 5 stars
I wasn't able to finish it, although I gave it the old college try. Unfortunately, Donald Miller is the first writer I've run across who writes exactly the way I would write if I were parodying him.

The first chapter was interesting enough, but by the second chapter he was beginning paragraphs with the phrase "You know..." My reaction to that? "Don't call me buddy, friend."

The cover had an endorsement from The Oregonian comparing Miller to Annie LaMott. Annie LaMott is beautiful. This book read like a 9th grade essay.

I never read Blue Like Jazz, but considering how influential it has been, I hope it was better written.

I also hope people won't mind that I dismiss this book because of the bad writing. Bad writing is another way of saying bad thinking. The book is scattered and muddled, and therefore boring.

View all my reviews >>

Comments