Ancient Presbyterianism & the Young

There's a story worth reading at By Faith, "The Web Magazine of the Presbyterian Church in America," concerning the "young" and the faith of our fathers. At times the piece is cheesily written (the title is A Growing Hunger for Honesty and Authenticity), but it's short and well worth the time, and illustrates something I've seen in microcosm here at Faith Church: the most stoutly Reformed folk in the church are the twenty-somethings, and the least the baby-boomers.

One aspect of this hearkening back which I haven't seen much of at Faith, but have observed in younger (my age give or take) Presbyterians and Christians generally, is a going-back not just to the Reformation, but through the Reformation back to the Church Fathers.

It's an interesting and heartening phenomenon, and definitely has a little something to do with the bankruptcy of modernism.

UPDATE: Allow me to correct an error, pointed out to me by an esteemed colleague (see comments). I should not be saying a "going-back," since Redemptive history is, well, history, and so progressive. The term is open to misinterpretation. But I do embrace the other term I used, "hearkening back." I suppose that's really what I meant all along.

"Ask for the old ways...", etc.

Comments