Holy Rollers

Today, Pr. Leithart used the word "pneumatology" over at his blog. Every time I see that word I think of tires. The Portuguese word (and, I think, the French, where it originated) for "tire" is "pneu," obviously because it isn't a wooden wheel, but is filled with air/breath.



Maybe this convergence resulted in the term "Holy Roller." That'd be fun.



I recently read Edna St. Vincent Millay's collection Make Bright the Arrows, published in 1940 and obviously much impacted by the Second World War. The overriding theme seems to be bitterness at the lack of preparedness for the war on the part of Europe, and the similar isolationism of America. Again and again she writes of the stupidity of ignoring the wolves at the door for as long as you can. I couldn't help but be reminded constantly of the present battle between Islam and the West. I'll try to write later of particular poems in this collection.



I got my edition from Mark at Ball & Cross, no, maybe Books Inc. here, but when searching for the title on Amazon, all I found were larger collections of her stuff. That's too bad. I'm glad I got this (it's a 1st, he said proudly).



"Make bright the arrows; gather the shields: the Lord hath raised up the spirit of the kings of the Medes." Jeremiah 51:2

Comments